Tuesday, December 8, 2015

I just recently accepted the importance of prayers in our daily life.  Although many nowadays frown at the idea of what seems to be talking to one's self, I find it comforting and motivating.  Being a Christian, prayers are part of our lives.  Yes, I just realized how important it is to living a true Christian life and I hope that my child lives a prayerful life as well.  In spite being a newbie at this, allow me to share how I intend to turn praying into a lifestyle and not as a chore for my daughter.

Start Praying With Your Child

It may be out of your routine but there is always a starting point.  Prayers are often done by many when they are in a pickle.  But as I have learned, it should not be the case.  First and foremost, praying is to worship God.  We pray to give thanks, we pray to comfort us when we have something weighing upon us and when we need forgiveness.  Everyday and every minute is a time to worship, praise and acknowledge how incomplete we are without God.

When your child sees you praying, they will appreciate it more.  When you involve them in praying, they become comfortable with it.

Start Simple Prayers

Prayers need not be complicated orations.  And it fascinates me to hear my daughter pray before our meals.  She thanks God for the cheese in her sandwich or the ice in her juice.  I suppose adults can learn a thing or two from kids' prayers.  The way they pray comes from the heart.  It may be simple (perhaps too simple for adults to understand), but it is honest.  I believe that when children talk to God this way, they build a stronger relationship.

When we build a habit of communicating using simple words with God, we become more accustomed to just conversing with God like a friend.  After all, God is our friend.

Make every opportunity a praying opportunity

There was a moment when my daughter felt scared because she was left all alone in the room.  She called out for me and when I answered back she calmed down.  I told her to call Jesus when she is afraid.  Now, when she feels afraid she would say "Jesus help me please.," or "Jesus protect me please."  Moments like these help children put their trust in God.  I should know, it works for me.

Every moment is a time to exalt, seek strength, or just find comfort in the presence of God.  When we put our trust in God every moment, we learn how beautiful it is to live with God in our hearts.

Prayer does not come naturally for many people.  It sure did not come easy for me.  And the truth is, there are still times when I forget to pray.  But we are all work in progress.  And it would be great if we start early with our children.

0 comments:

Post a Comment