Sunday, December 13, 2015

Who wants to go to heaven?  This was a question asked by Bro. Lito, a Couples for Christ (CFC) head who facilitated several talks in the Christian Life Program (CLP).  As expected, the participants raised their hands with gusto.  That included me of course.  We all wanted to go to heaven, who doesn't? Then he asked another question, "Who wants to go now?" Obviously we were all stunned. Is this guy a psycho? Will he kill us? Not one raised his hand (at least none that I saw)  Then the momentary tension was eroded away by laughter.  As funny as the situation was, it was a profound question all Christians should ponder on.

I suppose many Christians are like me.  I hesitated and was unsure if I am ready to leave everything immediately when God calls.    It reflects how attached I am to my mortal life - too attached it is embarrassing.

A Profound Lesson From Fishermen

He said to them, "Come, follow me, and I will make you fishers for men."   They immediately left their nets, and followed him.  Mathew 4:19-20

If I lived in the time of Jesus and he asks me to leave everything and follow Him I would probably walk away thinking He is crazy.  After all, who is this nobody demanding so much from me?  But Peter, Andrew, James and John were impressive. They left everything IMMEDIATELY and followed Jesus.  These four fishermen were the first disciples and without hesitation they followed.  Likewise, many other Christians throughout history heard the call and put their faith before all things.  Would you leave everything right now to follow Jesus?

An Invitation For All

Are you ready to get up and go to follow God right now? Or should we wait for your favorite telenovela to conclude? Is Clash of Kings holding you back because the Dark Knight event is 2 hours away and you haven't upgraded your castle and troops? Perhaps you haven't fully enjoyed your new iPad or 42-inch LED TV? What is holding you back to follow Jesus right now?

We are lucky to worship God freely, have the Bible as our guide, and other Christians willing to share the Good News.  We have it easy compared to the early Christians.  Yet amid all these blessings I (and many others) still find it difficult to leave all the worldly possessions.  I can easily argue that my family needs me, my child needs me, my rose bushes will not survive without me.  In the guise of logic and love, I would decline the invitation -how dense can you get?  But as it has been pointed out time and time again.  It is not I that they need.  It is God.  That simply shows that I am arrogant enough to think I can take His place.  Moreover, I am not truly ready to enter the Kingdom of God. And with a shameful heart I admit to these imperfections. And yet, in spite of this blasphemous attitude, God welcomes me with open arms and awaits my acceptance.  And the invitation extends to all.

Pray For The Unwilling Christian

Would you be willing to go to heaven right now?  As in right now, you don't even have to finish reading this.  I could easily say yes to impress others out there.  Regrettably, I am not strong enough nor mature enough let go.  And chances are many would postpone this majestic opportunity as well.

Brother Lito put forward a question directed not just to me but to all Christians. Do you want to go to heaven RIGHT NOW? I applaud those who can truly say yes and is willing to leave everything immediately behind - even those they hold dear in this world.  I really want to go to heaven.  But I need more than just my own strength to be willing to go RIGHT NOW.

I ask that you pray for me and for all those like me.  Pray that when we hear God's call we will stand up and go without hesitation. Pray that the Holy Spirit reside in hearts and direct our life and decisions.   Pray that our faith, though little will grow and will never falter.  Pray that I and all others like me truly find peace in God's grace.

0 comments:

Post a Comment